12th HyMeX Workshop, 20 - 24 May 2019, Split, Croatia
The 12th HyMeX workshop will take place from Monday 20 May to Friday 24 May 2019 in Split, Croatia. It is organised by the Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries, in collaboration with the Croatian Meteorological and Hydrological Service.
The general objectives of the HyMeX Workshops are to present and discuss recent scientific progresses in the understanding of the Mediterranean water cycle, from multiscale and multidisciplinary approaches, and to foster further collaborations within the HyMeX community.
The 12th HyMeX workshop will be organized along the HyMeX science topics: heavy precipitation, flash-floods and social vulnerability, integrated prediction of heavy precipitation and impacts, Mediterranean cyclones, ocean circulation and processes, drought and water resources, the water cycle and renewable energy. The workshop programme will consist of plenary and parallel sessions, both oral and poster, with an open call for contributions, as well as meetings on future works within HyMeX, and beyond. Dedicated sessions and meetings on the recent and future field campaigns - EXAEDRE, PERLE and LIAISE - are planned.
Venue and location
The 12th HyMeX workshop will take place in at the Hotel Park, Split, Croatia, from 20 to 24 May 2019. Split is a living Mediterranean city listed in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites, with growing tourism, beautiful landscapes, and welcoming citizens (www.visitsplit.com). The most convenient way to reach Split is through its international airport (code: SPU) which has daily connection to many European cities during May.
Ivica Vilibic, Clea Denamiel, Natalija Dunic, Anita Marusic, Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries, Croatia, Kristian Horvath, Ivan Guttler, Sarah Ivusic, Croatian Meteorological and Hydrological Service, Croatia, Laurent Labatut, Odile Roussot, Centre National de Recherches Meteorologiques, Meteo-France/CNRS, Toulouse, France.
- 4 December 2018: Second circular
- 4 December 2018: Early-bird registration opening
- 4 December 2018: Abstract submission opening
- 15 February 2019: Abstract submission deadline
- 19 March 2019: Notification of abstract acceptance
- 1 April 2019: Early-bird registration deadline
- 15 May 2019: Registration deadline
- 20-24 May 2019: 12th HyMeX Workshop
Abstract submission will open on 4 December 2018 and will close on 15 February 2019. Further instructions for abstract submission will be given in the second circular, as well as in this page.
Registration and fees
There will be a full-pack conference fee, covering conference material, coffee breaks, lunches and city tour. There will be an option to add conference dinner and full-day excursion to the fee. Further information about the registration, including on-line registration form and instructions on how to do the payment of the fee, will be placed in the second circular and on this page in December 2018.
Special rates for accommodation have been negotiated with several hotels within walking distance from the venue and from the city centre:
Hotel Park (*****, www.hotelpark-split.hr):
- The venue, 10 min walking from the Diocletian Palace in the city centre
- Single standard city view - 186,00 Euros
- Double room city view - 250,00 Euros
- Double room sea view - 290,00 Euros
- For booking Hotel Park please fill the hotel booking form and send it to the hotel at booking -at- hotelpark-split.hr with promo code "HYMEX-5/2019" in the subject line.
- Special rates are guaranteed till 15 February 2019.
Hotel Ora (****, www.hotel-ora.hr):
- 15 min walking distance from the venue, 25 min walking from the Diocletian Palace in the city centre
- Double room single use - 130,00 Euros
- Double room - 140,00 Euros
- For booking Hotel Ora please send an e-mail to the hotel at info -at- hotel-ora.hr with promo code "IZOR 192405" in the subject line.
- Special rates are guaranteed till 30 November 2018.
Hotel Dujam (***, www.hoteldujam.com):
- 20 min walking distance from the venue, 15 min walking from the Diocletian Palace in the city centre
- Double room single use - 51,85 Euros
- Double room - 71,40 Euros
- For booking Hotel Dujam please send an e-mail to the hotel at info -at- hoteldujam.com with promo code "HyMeX-05/2019" in the subject line.
- Special rates are guaranteed till 30 November 2018.
Room prices are VAT-included per night on the B&B basis and do not include obligatory tourist tax.
All rooms are served on the first-come first-served basis. Please note that the deadlines for securing special rates in the proposed hotels are tight, as the city of Split is a rapidly growing touristic destination, so the participants are advised to book their accommodation as soon as possible.
IMPORTANT: Please note that the hotel reservation can be cancelled without a penalty 7 days before arrival for all proposed hotels.
Aside the above listed conference hotels, the city of Split has a variety of accommodation options available through common booking platforms.
Local host contact: Ivica Vilibic, Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries, Setaliste I. Mestrovica 63, 21000 Split, email: vilibic -at- izor.hr.
For questions about the workshop, you can also contact: workshop at- hymex.org.
11th HyMeX Workshop, 29 May - 2 June 2018, Lecce, Italy
The 11th HyMeX workshop took place from Tuesday 29 May to Saturday 2 June 2018 in Lecce, Italy, at the Grand Hotel Tiziano e dei Congressi (www.grandhoteltiziano.it). It was organized by the Institute of Atmospheric Sciences and Climate of the Italian National Research Council (ISAC-CNR) in collaboration with the University of Salento and the Euro-Mediterranean Center on Climate Change (CMCC).
10th HyMeX Workshop, 4-7 July 2017, Barcelona, Spain
The 10th HyMeX workshop took place from 4 to 7 July 2017, in Barcelona, Spain. The workshop was organized by the Water Research Institute (IdRA) and the Faculty of Physics from the University of Barcelona. It wasd held at the Faculty of Physics of the University of Barcelona.
9th HyMeX Workshop, 21-25 September 2015, Mykonos, Greece
HyMeX 9th workshop took place from 21 to 25 September 2015 at Saint John Hotel, Mykonos Island, Greece.
See also http://hymex.meteo.gr
Integrated Regional Climate Modelling workshop, 20-23 January 2015, Toulouse, France
A 3-day MISTRALS workshop dedicated to the "Integrated Regional Climate Modelling" has been organized in Toulouse (Centre International de Conférences, Météo-France) from 20 to 23 January 2015 within the framework of the AMA2015 conference. The following topics were addressed: ocean-atmosphere-land interactions including coupling and climate physics, chemistry-climate interactions including air quality and aerosols, socio-ecosystem and climate interactions including continental and marine issues). Scientific talks were delivered during the first day. Day 2 and day 3 were dedicated to round table discussions on the following topics:
The full programme of the meeting can be found here (in French).
- Mediterranean climate change impacts
- Continental water cycle in the Mediterranean area
- Integrated modelling of the Mediterranean Sea
- Mediterranean coupled regional climate modelling.
The minutes of the round tables can be found here (in French).
8th HyMeX Workshop, 15-18 September 2014, Valletta, Malta
The programme's 8th workshop took place from 15 to 18 September 2014 at the University of Malta, Valletta Campus, Malta.
7th HyMeX Workshop, 7-10 October 2013, Cassis, France
The 7th HyMeX workshop took place from 7 to 10 October 2013 in Cassis, France, at the congress center Oustau Calendal.
HyMeX SOPs' debriefing workshop, 15-17 April 2013, Toulouse, France
From 15 to 17 April 2013, the International Conference Centre of Météo-France
in Toulouse hosted a 3-day debriefing workshop dedicated to HyMeX SOPs. The
workshop aimed to give an overview of the field operations, review the situations
documented during the IOPs of both SOP1 and SOP2, the datasets available, and
opportunities of further collaborative studies within the working groups in
the domains of: (i) instrument analyses, cross-validation studies, data assimilation,
(ii) multi-scale, multi-compartment modelling using SOP1 and SOP2 data, (iii)
studies of the IOP cases.
6th HyMeX workshop, 7-10 May 2012, Primosten, Croatia
In 2012, the 6th HyMeX workshop was held from 7 to 10 May 2012 in the city of Primosten, Croatia.
The workshop programme and presentations are available below.
HyMeX Task Team Modelling 3 / MedCORDEX workshop, 28-30 March 2012, Toulouse, France
5th HyMeX workshop, 17-19 May 2011, Punta Prima, Sant Luis, Menorca, Spain
A meeting of HyMeX Task Team and Working Group leaders took place at the same location, Monday 16 May 2011.
4th HyMeX workshop, 8-10 June 2010, CNR, Bologna, Italy
The 4th HyMeX Workshop took place in Bologna, Italy. Meetings of the leaders of HyMex Working Groups and Task Teams took place at the same location, Monday 7 June (See specific programme here).
3rd HyMeX workshop, 1-4 June 2009, Gournes Heraklion, Crete, Greece
The 3rd HyMeX workshop took place at HCMR (Hellenic Centre for Marine Research) in Heraklion (Gournes), Crete-Greece. Monday, June 1st was devoted to meetings of the HyMeX Working Groups.
2nd HyMeX workshop, 2-4 June 2008, Ecole Polytechnique, Palaiseau, France
1st Mediterranean-HyMeX workshop, 9-11 January 2007, Météo-France, Toulouse, France
Other conferences and workshops
- 11th Plinius Conference of the European Geosciences Union on Mediterranean Storms, Barcelona, Spain, 7-11 September 2009
- 30th International Conference on Alpine Meteorology (ICAM), Rastatt, Germany, 11-15 May 2009
- 3rd THORPEX International Science Symposium (TTISS), Monterey, California, 4-8 May 2009
- THORPEX-North Atlantic Waveguide and Downstream Experiment (T-NAWDEX), 1st Planning Meeting, Erding, Germany, 19-20 February 2009